Thursday, April 2, 2015

Sir Thomas

Here he is, Sir Thomas Fitzgerald of Laccagh, with his loyal banner-bearer.  


The banner was a pleasant change from the ones I've had to paint recently.  Almost felt like cheating.

And here is WIP number two of the mystery man from the last post.  I imagine it was pretty obvious even in the earlier stages that it would be a gallowglass - what in later English sources might be called a "lord's gallowglass," a bodyguard and way-clearer for anyone who could afford to keep him in beef and drink.  Certain septs, however, were closely bound to certain of the noble families of Ireland, as was the case with the Earls of Kildare and the MacDonnells.  The 8th Earl quartered a large number of Irish soldiers, including a battle of MacDonnells, in the Pale, so I think it is not beyond the realm of possibility that one of them might have served as bodyguard to the Earl's brother.


The mail looks better in this picture than I thought it did when I sculpted it.  It really brings out my weak points with GS: edges and regular or uniform textures.  Fortunately I think the paint will hide the goof-ups pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment